Showers & bachelor parties are events organized by the maid of honor and the best man
These events are the perfect occasion to celebrate the bride or groom and are usually organized by the maid of honor and the best man. They are less important than the actual wedding. Generally, between 5 and 20 guests attend. These are special moments where everyone gets to talk to the bride- or groom-to-be.
Invitations should not be too elaborate and, if at all possible, should have the same theme and colors as those chosen for the wedding. You can either produce them yourself or hire a professional to that end.
What should appear in the invitations?
- The name of the bride or groom
- The type of event
- The address, date and time of the event
- The name of the individual organizing the event and his/her telephone number
- A map with directions (optional)
- The date and contact information for RSVP purposes
- The theme (if applicable)
- Information concerning the couple’s gift list or wedding registry (if applicable)
Ask guests to RSVP 2 weeks before the event. This will give you more than enough time to call each of them and determine the number of guests for the restaurant reservation that should be made in advance.
Send your invitations in the mail 3 to 6 weeks before the event for guests from out of town and 2 to 4 weeks for guests in the area.
What happens during the event?
Generally, the event takes place at a restaurant, although it can be held at the home of the best man or maid of honor.
- Greeting of guests
- Appetizers and cocktails
- Toasts and speeches, introduction of each of the guests with a short summary of how they have met the bride- or groom-to-be
- Games, entertainment or activities (optional)
- Meal or dessert buffet
- Gifts to the future bride and groom
- Host/hostess gifts (optional) You will find several suggestions in the online store
Here are a few ideas for activities that you can organize for the event:
- Shower: spa treatment, cruise, cooking classes
- Bachelor party: Golf, fishing, wine tasting
Find these items in the online store
Thank you cards
The maid of honor and the best man should have thank you cards prepared prior to the event. This will allow the bride and groom to sign them and write a personal thank you note to each guest for their gifts.
A few tips
- Make sure you keep the guest list right next to the phone. Most guests will call you directly to confirm their presence.
- When you order the invitations, don’t forget reply cards and envelopes as well as thank you cards.
- Make sure that you share the personal address of each guest with the bride and groom to make it easier on them when sending out the thank you cards.
- Assign someone to write down each gift item, along with the name of the person who gave it. This will also make the process easier when sending out the thank you cards.
- Games and entertainment are not absolutely required for these events. However, keep in mind that not everyone will know each other. As a result, you may want to plan an ice breaker activity.
- Take a photograph of each guest with the bride or groom to send out along with the thank you cards.